Friday 6 June 2008

Something for the Weekend: Corned Beef Hash with Hot Caramelised Onions

Phew - what a hectic week!

I found out this week that I am to start a new position in a new office on Monday - so things have been a little hectic here. I'm looking forward to the change, but I think life is going to be a bit different from now on!

So I'm really looking forward to a relaxing weekend, and was planning out tomorrow's brunch (watch this space!) when I remembered this - the last brunch I made!

Question. What do you do when you are starving hungry on a Sunday morning, there's no bread or milk in the house and you're too lazy to get dressed to go to the shops?

Answer:

Corned Beef Hash with Hot Caramelised Onions

No quantities here - just make up as much as you like!
  • Left over boiled new jersey royal potatoes (They don't have to be left overs - you could always cook them when the onions are caramelising!)
  • corned beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 small/medium onion per person
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • oil to fry
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • hot sauce to taste
  • 1 soft poached egg per portion
Caramelise the Onions...
Half the onions, and slice pretty finely.
Heat a glug of olive oil in a heavy based frying pan, keeping the temperature low. Add the onions, sugar and a pinch of salt (the salt stops them burning). Cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring often. If they get too dry add a splash of water. They're ready when sticky, sweet and brown. Add as much hot sauce as you like - I added about 1/6 tsp per onion - it's hot stuff!!! Continue to cook for another minute or so and set aside.

Prepare the Potatoes...
Cut up the cooked potatoes, and fry in a hot pan with a little oil/butter until they are browned and crispy at the edges.

Put it Together...
Once the potatoes are crispy, add the onions into the potato pan and stir to mix. Add the corned beef and combine well - the corned beef will start to break up a little in the heat.

Serve with a soft-poached egg on the top and tuck in!

Related Posts



10 comments:

Peter M said...

Change is good and congrats are in order for your new position and this most savory and tempting dish.

Jeff said...

Drooolll...

Congrats on the new position!

glamah16 said...

Congrats.! I love movement and change for the better. This would rock afte a heavy night out too. Cant go wrong with Corned Beef Hash.

giz said...

Can you believe that I've never had corned beef hash. It looks so interesting and by the way you describe it - it's a total throw together.

Heather said...

Huh, I came up with a different answer to your question: Go back to bed.

I think grats are in order, but you didn't say whether or not the change was your idea or someone else's. For the sake of grats we'll say it was yours. Yay!

I love hash and potatoes. Heh, corned beef hash, that is.

Nina Timm said...

I have good memories of my dad making this for us at our holiday house. What a smell to wake up to....
Good luck for your new job!!!

Heather said...

You know what, I was just poking back over here and realized that you made this hash and egg before I made mine on Sunday (mine was leftover pulled pork, sweet potatoes and heirloom tomato). I think I must've subliminally absorbed your dish and craved it, and then I made my own version of it without publicly thanking you for the inspirado.

Thank you, Kittie. :)

Laura Paterson said...

Thanks for the congrats guys!

It was a move initiated by my office - but I was more than happy to go, so Yay!

coco - I think there may have been a heavy one the night before... [blush]

giz - the way I make it, it is!

Heather - stuffing my face with breakfast beats sleeping any time! Oh, and I think your hash was rather more wow than mine - I want to make pulled pork just to try it!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Congrats on the new job. It sounds like you may have less time for cooking and blogging but we will love everything you send our way:D

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time I had corned beef hash, let alone with caramelized onions. Now I have a major craving for it!