Wednesday 21 May 2008

Scotch Bonnet Hot Hot HOT Sauce

Zlamushka of Zlamushka's Spicy Kitchen is hosting a new Food Event - Tried and Tasted - a monthly event to appriecaite other blogs. This month, the blog chosen is Cynthia of Tastes Like Home. I don't intend this post to be my entry to that event as I have picked another dish - but when I saw this pepper sauce, I knew it was the kind of thing I would love!

This is my entry to Putting Up - hosted by Pixie at You Say Tomahto, I Say Tomayto. It's a great idea for an event - for me it gave me the kick I needed to actually make a preserve type thing. For some reason I was scared of the sterilization thing - it always seemed to be a lot of work! But I thoroughly enjoyed making this scotch bonnet sauce, and look forward to using it in my cooking!

Tabasco, eat your heart out!!

Scotch Bonnet Hot Pepper Sauce


  • About 300g scotch bonnet chilli peppers - the original recipe called for 4 cups - I think this was slightly more...
  • 6 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • Salt to taste - I added 1 tbsp - there was no way I could taste it at that stage!!!!!!!!
  • Distilled vinegar to loosen - Cynthia told me you can use water or oil in place of this - I used mostly vinegar with a bit of oil.

RIGHT THIS IS IMPORTANT!

WEAR GLOVES!!!


Seriously. I wore gloves the whole way through, and still managed to get some under a nail. These chillies are HOT!

Place chillies in a colander and wash well. Remove the stalks and place in the food processor with the garlic and salt.

Blend to a fine purée, making sure there aren't any big bits stuck to the side!

Add 1/3 cup of vinegar (or oil/water!) and blend again. Check the consistency - if you want to loosen it further, slowly add more vinegar/oil/salt until you have the thickness you want.

Decant into sterilized jars.

Cynthia told me that her mum used to leave hers in the sun to cure for a few days before using - so I have put my jars into the sunniest spot of my apartment. I have already used a little bit of it in this salad - wow, seriously hot but you can still taste the fruitiness of the peppers!! I'm looking forward to trying it again in a few days!

Yay for pretty jars of stuff I made from scratch!!!

Related Posts



24 comments:

Peter M said...

First off, luv the new profile pic and I'm glad the Spice Girls boots are gone!

Second...what are yo thinkin' girl...making 2 big jars of scotch bonnet sauce? lol

I hope you love spicy food, this spice is potent but surely delish...Cynthia's recipe...no argument.

PG said...

Wow. This looks dangerous. With my record of not wearing gloves (remember the tumeric issue), I'd probably need to be hospitalized after making this.

We buy jars of scotch bonnet to spice up pasta sauces - this looks like a great project for a day when I'm feeling adventurous.

Laura Paterson said...

peter - glad you like the new pic - it only took me 3 months to get round to it! And 2ndly... I luuuurve my hot food - but I'll probably still give away one of the jars ;)

pyschgrad... I was thinking of you when I enlarged the warning - lol!

Pixie said...

Hiya Kittie,

Thumbs up from me on this one. Thanks for the warning of the gloves and for such a terrific entry!

Pixie

Cynthia said...

You have me salivating here for some of your pepper sauce! You did such a great job. Thanks for trying the recipe.

glamah16 said...

I was thinking about making a hot sauce over the next week or so. This is incredible. I love Cynthia.

Lisa Turner said...

Oh, this got my attention. I would love love love this. I will be trying this one for sure.

Anonymous said...

holy jesus. two jars of that would last me the rest of my life...if the pepper doesn't eat right through the glass!

there is no way to emphasize the need to wear gloves when handling these bad boys enough. i once had a roommate who was dicing them without gloves and took a break to go to the bathroom - without even washing his hands first. needless to say, his personal area objected vociferously.

Heather said...

Whoo, hunny. That's some napalm you got there! You could carry that jar around in case you ever get mugged.

I agree with Peter, you're way too pretty to hide behind moon boots!

Anonymous said...

I would love this sauce! I make a very similar sauce with habaneros that's based on Vietnamese chili garlic sauce. The only difference is the addition of a little sugar.

I'm so addicted to it, I have to have it with every meal!

Rosie said...

This is one excellent hot sauce! Many thanks for taking part in this event :)

Rosie x

Thistlemoon said...

Yum! I love scotch bonnets! I brought jars of the stuff home from Jamaica! Looks awesome!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That is a very respectable amount of peppers! Looks like it would sure be a nice jar to have around the house though *drools*

Dee said...

Aha, I grow habaneros on my balcony, so thank you for the recipe :)

Laura Paterson said...

Pixie - thanks for hosting such a great event!

Cynthia - thanks for your recipe, and your advice :)

Coco - I only just discovered her - but I already have three other of her dishes in the pipeline (and I never cook for recipes!!!)

Lisa - I'm thinking about using this as a base for a pakora sauce which should be right up your street - watch this space!

michelle - ouch... oh ouch... I'm cringing - silly boy! I think I'm going to give one jar to my dad for his birthday - I wonder how long the 2nd will last me!

heather - Lol - mace spray eat your heart out. Actually this probably would eat your heart out... And (coyly blushes) thank you!! :)

chuck - thanks for the heads up I've just had a look over at your place - I love your viet recipes!

Thanks rosie - it was a pleasure!

jenn - don't they have a gorgeous fruity flavour... if you can get past the heat ;)

mike - I was surprised not to get funny looks when I bagged up so many of them!

dee - I've been meaning to try my hand at chilli growing for a while. Thanks for stopping by - and I like your blog!

Anonymous said...

Yum, I'm always looking for hot sauce recipes!

Neen said...

Dear god are you brave. Do, my partner in crime who adores hot peppers, had his first encounter with scotch bonnet peppers a few months ago and was stunned at how potent those buggers are. He blogged about the fact that his fingers still burned for days!ot

zlamushka said...

wow, this spicy goodnes, I ve been dying to make. YOu are not submiting this one to my T&T? :-( Do you mind if I mention it just for a second together with your Grand Entry-to-be-blogged-about-soon to humble mui? Please please lovely please...

Laura Paterson said...

neen - There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. If you get away with it, you are brave. If you don't, you are stupid. ;) I used my processor to make these - and despite a proper washing, the next time I used it making muffins... when I licked the bowl (Oh come on, that's the best bit!), I swear I had burning!

zlamushka - I will be posting today - and will include it in my round up! I have cooked with it a few times now - and it is well worth a mention!!! :D

SJ said...

Great recipe! I use a similar one that calls for 2 cups Habenaros, with onions, garlic, carrots, vinegar, salt and white pepper. The result is 32 oz. of Habenaro Heaven that leaves Tabasco sitting on the sidelines whimpering!

Basit said...

Great recipe....jamaican hot sauce
is very spicy and the recipe is very easy.Thanks for sharing.

Suzane said...

The guideline viability of a private look that can help you generally keep, prepared yourself just as cause segments diet system just as to perform like endeavors similarly as with dishwashing.freezer leaking water into fridge

lisal said...

so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.freezer leaking water into fridge

Muhammad Fahad said...

Dr Trouble hot sauce is a handcrafted, all-natural chili sauce with a unique taste that enhances dishes. Made with fresh lemon juice and African Birds Eye chilies, it is low in calories, vegan-friendly, and gluten-free. Pair it with your favorite meals for an unforgettable flavor experience. You can use Dr Trouble Smoked Chili Sauce to enhance your taste.