Thursday 31 January 2008

Sri Lankan Workshop: Paripoo

At the Sri Lankan Cookery workshop I recently attended I fell madly in love with this simple, easy and gorgeous curry! It was sooo good - creamy, spicy, comforting, and above all, packed with flavour.

My pictures just don't do justice to the vibrant colour of this dish (although thanks to some great feedback from Jill over at Simple Daily Recipes, I will hopefully be getting more real light to them soon! Thanks Jill!)


Paripoo - Sri Lankan Dhal!


  • 90g red lentils
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 dried red chilies, left whole.
  • 8 curry leaves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 100 ml water
  • 1/2 tin coconut milk
Ok, so how simple is this???

Are you ready?

Put all the ingredients into a pan, except the coconut milk.
Simmer for 15 minutes (stirring frequently to prevent the lentils sticking)
Add the coconut milk
Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.

There you go - a gorgeous curry, made from scratch in half an hour!

Related Posts



1 comments:

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com said...

You're doing great - keep working it!

(I really like your dishware design.) Simple colors that showcase the food, not the plate, are always good choices.

I wish I could sit at your table and break that bread with you - it all looks so good.